Mercury

IN THIS SECTION
 

This discussion begins with mercury because so many people have been exposed to it through amalgam dental fillings. One of the most prevalent causes of chronic illness that we’ve encountered is from the mercury and silver comprising these fillings. The American Dental Association perpetrates the untruth that amalgam dental fillings (made from approximately 50 percent mercury) are safe. However, the mercury in fillings has caused innumerable illnesses, degenerative diseases, and deaths.

Despite volumes of research indicating otherwise, the ADA maintains that mercury, when mixed with silver to create amalgam dental fillings, becomes inert and is therefore harmless. In reality, mercury in filling materials releases toxic gas into your mouth and through tissues. This organization continues to turn its back on science at immeasurable cost in human pain and suffering. Financial interests and the status quo overwhelm rational thought and concern for public safety. If you have metal fillings, get them removed by a biological dentist who can refill them with safe composite materials.

For centuries, mercury has been known as one of the most poisonous substances on earth. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, remarked on its toxicity more than 2,000 years ago. Despite its known dangers, mercury has been used in industrial processes and medications for over 1,000 years, causing degenerative disease and neurological damage. In fact, the expression “mad as a hatter” described people poisoned by mercury from working in hat factories.

Besides dentistry and occupational settings where elemental mercury is used, most of the health risk from mercury exposure is due to methylmercury from fish consumption. Mackerel, shark, shellfish, and swordfish top this list. Tuna may also contain methylmercury, but usually in smaller amounts. Adults who consume a large quantity of these fish on a regular basis are at a high risk for toxicity.

Other common sources of mercury exposure include:

  • Batteries
  • Broken fluorescent light bulbs
  • Chlorine bleach
  • Grains and seeds treated with methylmercury to kill bacteria and fungi
  • Latex paints
  • Pesticides and fungicides
  • Plastics
  • Printer’s ink
  • Vaccines

Mercury is uniquely dangerous because it is a liquid at room temperature and vaporizes easily. This is why you shouldn’t attempt to vacuum up a mercury spill from a broken thermometer unless the vacuum’s exhaust system is vented to the outside. Mercury is absorbed upon skin contact, inhaled into the lungs, and seeps through the intestines when ingested.

Mercury toxicity may be associated with hundreds of symptoms and conditions. The most common include depression, neurological damage, emotional instability, mood swings, inability to concentrate, sleep disturbances, irritability, abnormal heartbeat, pressure and pain in the chest, high or low blood pressure, and anemia.

Schedule Support